I’m always looking for ways to get my husband and two young kids to eat more vegetables. Using different cooking techniques like roasting, sautéing and baking is one way to get some variety, but incorporating vegetables into foods you wouldn’t expect can really increase your vegetable consumption. Try these 10 simple tips to get more vegetables into your everyday meals:
1. Use pureed sweet potato or butternut squash in your homemade pizza sauce.
2. Add shredded zucchini to your favorite healthy pancake recipe.
3. Utilize kale or spinach in your favorite soup recipe.
4. Add pureed carrots to your pasta sauce.
5. Incorporate pureed zucchini, mushrooms or eggplant to turkey or veggie meatballs.
6. Add avocado to your morning smoothie—the kids will never know and the smoothie will be as rich and creamy as a milk shake.
7. Add spinach or kale to any dark berry smoothie like blackberry or blueberry.
8. Use pureed pumpkin or shredded zucchini in your muffin or bread recipes.
9. Add chopped bell peppers, onions, spinach and/or arugula to your scrambled eggs or omelet.
10. Make baked sweet potato fries.