- 2cups green or brown lentils
- 4cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 carrotschopped
- 1 red onionfinely chopped
- 1clove garlicminced
- 3tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1cup coarsely torn arugula
- 1cup coarsely chopped Belgian endive
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the lentils, water and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Drain, remove and discard the bay leaves, and transfer the lentils to a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Cook the carrots, onion and garlic, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the carrot mixture to the reserved lentils and toss with the vinegar, oil, and parsley. Divide the arugula and endive among 4 plates and spoon the lentil salad on top of the greens. The lentil salad can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.