It's no secret that pasta is one of America's favorite foods. With over 600 variations, there's something for everyone. However, many people feel they need to give up pasta to be healthy or lose weight. That's not the case. This pasta salad recipe wheat and gluten-free and fits nicely into a clean diet or weight-loss program. This delicious and low calorie recipe is made with brown rice pasta—a healthy wheat and gluten-free alternative. This may just become your new favorite pasta dish!
- 1box (12 ounces) brown rice pastasuch as penne, fusilli, or bow tie
- 1/2head broccolicut into small pieces
- 3 carrotschopped
- 1large tomatochopped
- 3 scallionsfinely chopped
- 2teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2cup Italian vinaigrette dressing
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- In a medium saucepan with a steamer basket, bring 1" of water to a boil. Place the broccoli and carrots in the basket, cover, reduce the heat to low, and steam for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Transfer the broccoli and carrots to a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- In a large bowl, toss the pasta with the broccoli and carrots. Add the tomato, scallions, Italian seasoning, and vinaigrette and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- 6tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4teaspoon Ground black pepper
- In a jar with a lid, mix together the oil, vinegar, and lemon juice. Add the mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover with the lid and shake well before serving.
- Refrigerate any leftover dressing for 3 to 5 days. Shake well before serving.