Cold or warm weather, I love my soup, stew and chili recipes! And I'm always busy creating new ones with the season’s best produce. For stews, I love going to the farmer’s market for fresh, local vegetables to combine in one healthy dish.
This White Chicken Stew is a favorite. It is hearty, yet healthy, and full of lean protein. The vegetables along with the beans and chicken create an amazing balance of taste and texture. The meal will leave you and the family feeling warm, happy and satisfied. It’s also easy to make extra servings for delicious (and easy) leftovers.
Get the recipe below. And if you're looking to jump-start your healthy eating, join me for a quick and simple 5-Day Detox!
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlicminced
- 1 yellow onionchopped
- 2 ribs celerychopped
- 1large (or 3 small) carrotspeeled and chopped
- sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 yellow pepperchopped
- 1 jalapeñodiced (optional)
- 1/2 Anaheim pepperdiced
- 1can diced green chilies
- 4cups chicken broth
- 2cans northern beans
- 1cup chopped kale
- 1 rotisserie chickenboned, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 2 corn tortillas
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté for approximately 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the yellow pepper, jalapeño, Anaheim pepper, and green chilies and cook an additional 3-5 minutes. Add the broth, beans and kale. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Add chicken and simmer an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until chicken is warmed through.
- While the stew is simmering, preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the tortillas on a baking sheet. Bake for 2-4 minutes, or until crisp
- Ladle the stew into bowls and top with crumbled tortilla chips.